Thursday, December 6, 2007

Conversations with Corbin

*** Warning ***
If you have a child that "believes" do not let him/her read this!!!


So last night we were sitting here in the living room winding down for the evening when Corbin - out of the blue - said "Santa hasn't come to give us presents yet" as he looks at the bare tree skirt lying under the tree. For those of you who know my children - the girl especially - we do not put out ANY presents until Christmas Eve in order to avoid arguments and repetitive "Don't touch that" conversations and many retaping moments.

I explained to him that Santa doesn't come until Christmas Eve and that, too, is when our presents will be put under the tree. Conversation over, so I thought.

"I get it..." he turns to look at me and continues in a bright holy-crow-I-figured-it-out kind of voice. "Santa isn't real."

"WHAT?!?" I looked at Colt, totally amazed at what I heard and what was to come. "Where did you hear that?"

"I just know. It's you guys, you wrap my presents." He seemed alright with it and for a brief moment I thought about agreeing with him. Do any of you remember my conversation with Colt a couple years back? The one where he said he didn't want to "mislead" our children or the whole belief/trust system? Believe me, for a minute I was ready to come clean. But he is so young!

"No, Santa brings you one present and presents for your stocking, remember? Mommy and Daddy do the rest." Then I had to explain to him why I won't put them out until Christmas. He seemed to understand that and accept that. Colt and I sighed HUGE sighs of relief. While part of us thinks it'd be nice to get it out of the way - especially when he was so good with the idea - but at the same time he is only 5!!

So I remind myself, and others, time to buy different kinds of wrapping paper!! ONE certain kind from Santa and the rest from Mom and Dad.

4 comments:

Grove Family said...

Oh my goodness, he is so smart!!! I agree with the wrapping paper, or you could just do what my parents do and don't wrap Santa's gift. They actually get that one out of the box and set up so we can play with it. Wow I'm talking present tense as if I'm still a child... LOL! Love ya Stef!

The Meier family said...

It is amazing how smart kids are! I am totally impressed how he picked up on the small details! Good luck with each year that comes, because it only gets harder!
Love ya! Candice

Howard Family said...

You are lucky!!

mommyoffour said...

I agree, wouldn't that be nice to just tell him the truth now? I also agree that it would ruin a lot of fun! He would probably spill the beans and tell Marley the news anyway, this is best! :)